Wednesday 13 April 2011

Didn’t We Have A Lovely Time…

…the day we went to Bicester!  ‘Bicester Outlet Village’ to be precise!

We were long overdue for a day out to mark my 50th birthday (which was last August!!), every time we had made plans, something had got in the way! So a date was set…first day of the school Easter holidays…& off I went to meet Amanda in Bicester!!

Considering it’s only an hours drive away & virtually in a straight line across country, I am amazed that I have not been before! Free parking & over 900 shops & restaurants, names like YSL, Dior, Gianni Versace, Gucci, Jimmy Choo, Alexander McQueen….alongside Monsoon, Cath Kidston, Burberry, Fat Face, Jigsaw…to name a few!!! All offering up to 70% discounts!!!

I have to admit that even at 70% off, most of these stores were out of my price range, but I had a wonderful time browsing & getting all ‘touchy feely’ with their stock!!!!

b'fast at bicester I met Amanda at Carluccio’s just ahead of opening time & we had a leisurely breakfast in the sunshine…our waiter, Mario, was kind enough to take a photo once we’d polished off our scrambled eggs, mushrooms & the most delicious ciabbatta toast I have ever tasted!!

Then it was into the fray!  Sidestepping throngs of Japanese bargain hunters & little groups of wealthy Arab women, swathed in their black robes, we spent time in every shop that took our fancy…& there were plenty of those!!

1st buy It took about an hour for us to make our first purchases!  Mine was a pair of gold ‘thong’ sandals & Amanda’s a straw hat!…both from Monsoon & at ridiculously low prices!!

The place was heaving, even at 11am, as everyone vied for the best bargains…in contrast to the more expensive shops where everyone behaved with a bit more decorum!!!

After another couple of hours we came to a shop selling prestige cosmetics & toiletries….& they stocked my favourite hair care range…Ojon!!!

My second purchase of the day was a set of four Ojon products…all favourites…in Jumbo sizes at ONLY £34.00!!!! My day was made!!!!

We stopped for some lunch at ‘Pret-a-Manger’ & soaked up some sunshine while enjoying Thai Chicken soup…washed down with something sparkling…no, not champagne!!…Grape & Elderflower Presse!!!

Then it was back to the shops & I outdid myself in Cath Kidston!…buying an ironing board cover & two tea-towels!!!!  But they are lovely!!!!  We spent time in the Ugg store & marvelled at the audacity of the ‘Jimmy Choo’ designed Ugg boots…just the same as normal Uggs but with a fringe, a few added studs & an extra £395 on the price!!

We finished off our day with afternoon tea, back at Carluccio’s & Amanda made a trip to her car to fetch my  birthday gift (she refused to give it to me until we had a girls day out to mark the occasion!) She is a talented artist & creates the most amazing multi medium prints, & more recently ‘slumped’ glass sculptures!  My gift was a piece of said glass art, mounted & framed….it is stunning! I already have three pieces of Amanda’s artwork adorning my walls, not to mention the odd piece of glasswork dotted around the house…& this piece will be found its own space very soon!!!

As we got back to our cars it started to rain! How perfect that we had the whole day in sunshine & the clouds only came over as we were drinking our tea! Somebody ‘up there’ was watching out for us!!

09 April 2011 004 Just to mention that the mystery of the ‘Good Year’ blimp (airship!) has been solved! Apparently Good Year are sponsors of Sky Sports & the blimp was seen in a TV advert during half time in the ‘England vs Wales’ match a couple of weekends ago! In the ad you could clearly see the hangars as the blimp pulled out & then our village as it circled!!! It has been circling overhead again this week, so keep an eye on Sky Sports & you might see our house!!!!

That’s it from me for now…remember that Dixie Pieces have an online crop this weekend…’More Stash Than Cash’…starting on Friday 15th at approx 9.00am PST & continuing through till Sunday night! There will be games, tutorials & challenges, with a whole week to complete your entries (deadline midnight PST, Sunday 24th April). So come on over & join in the fun!!!

Thanks for stopping by & come back soon!  : )

5 comments:

Sian said...

Bicester Village sounds like a perfect girlie trip - mind you, the one time I made it there I had to have a lie down when I got back to the campsite we were staying in. I was too overcome with the bargainness of it all!

Jocelyn said...

Sounds like a wonderful time....The pics are Fabulous!!!! I am reading with excitement at the stores that you got to visit...OH JIMMY CHOO!!!!! Swoon!!!

Sounds like you got some great buys....gold thing sandals....YAY!!!!!

Wishing you a wonderful day!!!! Love ya girlie!!!

karen said...

Glad the weather held out for you.Can't wait to see the "glass thing".
You will be soooooo jealous in two weeks time I will be "over the road" enjoying the shops and Panera.Chris booked me a ticket yesterday.

humel said...

That sounds like a fab day out :-) Hooray for bargains!

Jean Summers said...

Lovely blog thanks for sharing